"Like the study of science and art, accounts of historical events can be intrinsically fascinating. But they have a wider significance. I believe that people are better able to chart their life course and make life decisions when they know how others have dealt with pressures and dilemmas---historically, contemporaneously, and in works of art. And only equipped with such understanding can we participate knowledgeably in contemporary discussions (and decisions) about the culpability of various individuals and countries in the Second World War. Only with such understanding can we ponder the responsibilty of human beings everywhere to counter current efforts at genocide in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia to bring the perpetrators to justice."
"...we humans are the kinds of animals who learn chiefly by observing others---what they value, what they spurn, how they conduct themselves from day to day, and especially, what they do when they believe that no one is looking."
----Howard Gardner, from The Disciplined Mind, published in 1999

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Agenda for the Meeting; or, the World Keeps Turning

Our blogging friend Captain Corky recently posted about his and Corky Jr.'s goals for the immediate future. As always, I learn best in a collaborative setting, so I've decided to take the Captain's lead. There's little time for posting some things ripe for posting, so the list of coming events here is most functional.
Little and Big Guys return to school tomorrow; the school district that employs me resumes after Labor Day. This means I have some open all-by-myself-time: a commodity that normally only avails itself to me in times of insomnia or commuting on the interstate to the university.
What this means, dear reader, is that in addition to having as many lunches out as possible, I may have more time to write that post that's been swirling in my head about theories of motion, equilibrium, behavior analysis, and a famous quote from the Gospels; or perhaps the post wherein I am attempting to reason how motion as symbolized by the visual may be used as a vehicle for the exploration of language acquisition at the preoperational stage, and perhaps sooner: ideally for children with autism, but certainly for any students who may find that such a thing speaks to them. Or perhaps the post in which I attempt to describe the origins and patterns of my continually growing obsession with spoken and written language: the whys and hows of its efficiencies in communication, and how those with intelligences much stronger in areas other than the linguistic can feel facile in this environment of language.
Can you hear that calliope playing circus music?

Once my school district begins, my fall semester of graduate school will have already begun.
You might, dear reader, see posts only on a weekly basis; you might see short daily posts. I've commited to this practice of language; you've reinforced my efforts with your presence and your kindness. We'll figure it out together.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm right with you. My son goes back tomorrow, but I'm not so industrious as you. I'll probably still just blog about carpools, two headed squirrels and toe fungus.

neroli said...

Min, as always, I look to you to add to my learning about how to handle this kids-growing-up thing.
I hope I do even a small percentage as well as you in the whole messy business.
I've had the post about maintaining balance while dancing with Sir Isaac Newton to the tune of applied behavior analysis saved as draft for a while...but you're right, it's pure satire to write that I will do anything much at all!
Squirrels? Love 'em, despite the fact that I'm nuts...

Anonymous said...

Neroli, dear -- post at will -- worry not -- life is too short to plan your precious free moments! At least that's the unsolicited advice I'd give myself ;)

Hope you get the chance to do something special for *you* before school starts. :)

Pelicano said...

I like your attitude toward this next scene in the play, and look drawrof to the chronicling of it!

neroli said...

Dear Linda, I've benefited from your wisdom before---no sense in stopping now! You're absolutely right, and I've already walked down to the coffee shop after the second bus left :)

Pel, I'm looking forward to it as well---thanks!
Met Miyazaki yet?
*grin*

Diane O'Connor said...

Neroli, I think you have an AMAZING way of expressing yourself. I envy you that you will be finding more time to blog. All I want to do is quit work and take photos and blog all day and talk to other bloggers!! This is definately turning into an obsession.

neroli said...

Dear Diane, thank you so much for your kindness---the fact that you enjoy your time here is a high compliment, a tribute to your generousity.
Later in the morning, I got a phone call---I'm needed at the school this week---so now you don't have to envy me ;)
And, indeed, when I began this blog as a means to practice with language, I never realized how much I would come to appreciate it as a way of both giving and receiving communication.
It's amazing---thanks for helping to make it so!

captain corky said...

I always here the calliope playing Neroli. ;)

neroli said...

*laughing*
Thanks, I needed that ;-)!