"Like the study of science and art, accounts of historical events can be intrinsically fascinating. But they have a wider significance. I believe that people are better able to chart their life course and make life decisions when they know how others have dealt with pressures and dilemmas---historically, contemporaneously, and in works of art. And only equipped with such understanding can we participate knowledgeably in contemporary discussions (and decisions) about the culpability of various individuals and countries in the Second World War. Only with such understanding can we ponder the responsibilty of human beings everywhere to counter current efforts at genocide in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia to bring the perpetrators to justice."
"...we humans are the kinds of animals who learn chiefly by observing others---what they value, what they spurn, how they conduct themselves from day to day, and especially, what they do when they believe that no one is looking."
----Howard Gardner, from The Disciplined Mind, published in 1999

Thursday, August 16, 2007

For Every Action There is an Equal and Opposite Reaction; or, WYSIWYG?

I am still on behind in my writing, so today, as is my habit, I offer to you, dear reader, a comic.


PS, dear reader---I forgot to write that I have left one of the "Thinking Blogger" awards in reserve: for my friend, Lots Of, should he ever decide to enter the blogosphere.
I've been informed by Lots Of's intellect, wit, and word-craft for some time, and been the better for it.
As Martha says, it's a good thing.
Thank you, Lots Of. I'll hold onto it for you: maybe get it silk-screened onto a necktie in the interim?

9 comments:

captain corky said...

Thanks for the comic. I got a good chuckle out of that one. ;)

I have lots of neckties said...

Wow. An award...for little ol’ me! I’m pleasantly delighted and flattered that you think of me that way.

However, you may consider that award a bit premature once you read this foolishness:

As you know, I enjoy brewed tea. I’m still working on the supply you gave me in June, as well as some other blends I picked up in NYC’s Chinatown in July. I especially enjoy having tea at work, but, unfortunately, the hot water coming out of the spigot attached to the office coffeemaker is just not hot enough to brew it properly. So a while back I purchased a Pyrex measuring cup and use it in the microwave oven to boil my tea water. I was preparing water the other day when a colleague of mine spied my Pyrex measuring cup as I was taking it from the microwave. He remarked, “Hey, that’s a good idea.”

I replied, “Yes, this cup is really a neat little gadget; I brought it back from the Bahamas.”

Looking a bit befuddled, my colleague pointed at my measuring cup, just to make sure he had understood me correctly. “You got that in the Bahamas?”

To which I responded, “Yes. Haven’t you ever heard of the Pyrex of the Caribbean?”

Go ahead, you can revoke my "Thinking Blogger" award now if you want to!

neroli said...

Captain, you are most welcome! It's one of my best favorites :-)

Lots Of, that story exemplifies why I have the opinion of you that I do.
Are you going back to Chinatown anytime soon?

Anonymous said...

Gotta love that crab!

neroli said...

That crab is my absolute best favorite.
Oh, and Guard Dog.

I have lots of neckties said...

I love such "shaggy dog" stories, but I never know how they're going to be received by the reader or listener. Glad you appreciated it.

In the past, I've constructed elaborate shaggy dog stories and included them in letters to camp for my daughter to read. I try to create plausible, personalized scenarios so she won't see through the gimmick until the punch line. However, I've done this so often to the kid that she pretty much expects my stories to be "setting her up" in some way (even if they are not). Of course, she often returns the favor and makes me the victim of similar "set ups." It's a lot of fun.

I'm not planning another trip to NYC's Chinatown any time soon. I may get to Philly's Chinatown sooner, but I'm not sure when.

neroli said...

scenarios to the punchline---I think there's an interesting teaching tool there...

Anonymous said...

If you cannot finance a car on account of earning inadequate monthly earnings, you need to take credit from additional financial industry this article In an effort to attract customers they charges create a way to deal with their financial situation

Anonymous said...

ambien without prescriptions ambien side effect depression - price ambien cr 12.5