"Like the study of science and art, accounts of historical events can be intrinsically fascinating. But they have a wider significance. I believe that people are better able to chart their life course and make life decisions when they know how others have dealt with pressures and dilemmas---historically, contemporaneously, and in works of art. And only equipped with such understanding can we participate knowledgeably in contemporary discussions (and decisions) about the culpability of various individuals and countries in the Second World War. Only with such understanding can we ponder the responsibilty of human beings everywhere to counter current efforts at genocide in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia to bring the perpetrators to justice."
"...we humans are the kinds of animals who learn chiefly by observing others---what they value, what they spurn, how they conduct themselves from day to day, and especially, what they do when they believe that no one is looking."
----Howard Gardner, from The Disciplined Mind, published in 1999

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

La Femme Orchestre; or, the Best-Laid Plans

Dear reader, I am unexpectedly called back to work today; grad school resumes tonight.
You know what they say about the best-laid plans.
Enjoy the day.

6 comments:

captain corky said...

Rats.

AfKaP said...

I know exactly what you write of - I start tomorrow and am already not sleeping and pressed for time! Like Corky says, RATS!

neroli said...

RATS indeed! Thanks, pals, for your commiseration.
Of course, I had about 4 hours of sleep last night; right now I'm at university waiting for grad to begin.
I don't think I'll have difficulty sleeping tonight!

Anonymous said...

Oh, sometimes I wish to have the energy and time to go back to school...nah!
Have fun and will be waiting for you to share with us what is going on at the university.
The video adds a "wholenother" dimension to Musical Chairs.
My best-laid plan today is to lay my body down and watch the U.S. Open. **yawn**

AfKaP said...

Hope you are having fun!

neroli said...

My dear Swampy, energy has nothing to do with my going to grad school---it's more lunacy on my part ;-0!
Interestingly enough, in my class last night was a woman who was a marine mammal trainer.
Now she works at a private school exclusively for children with autism. Very interesting.
That video? I love it. I meant for it to express my wish to be able to be in many places at once (I made lunch dates that I'm still running to, and then back to my work) but faced with the prospect of a new room full of kiddos---well, seems like that's how our classroom seems sometimes ;-)!
Glad you're having some good R&R!

Artist---fun will come later, I'm certain. I can wait :)!