"Like the study of science and art, accounts of historical events can be intrinsically fascinating. But they have a wider significance. I believe that people are better able to chart their life course and make life decisions when they know how others have dealt with pressures and dilemmas---historically, contemporaneously, and in works of art. And only equipped with such understanding can we participate knowledgeably in contemporary discussions (and decisions) about the culpability of various individuals and countries in the Second World War. Only with such understanding can we ponder the responsibilty of human beings everywhere to counter current efforts at genocide in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia to bring the perpetrators to justice."
"...we humans are the kinds of animals who learn chiefly by observing others---what they value, what they spurn, how they conduct themselves from day to day, and especially, what they do when they believe that no one is looking."
----Howard Gardner, from The Disciplined Mind, published in 1999

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Oh, Bother; or, Keith Haring Has Left the Building

One of the things I loved most about my drive to the university was a particular bit of graffiti art painted high-up on the face of an industrial building facing the interstate.

It was outsider-art-quality, quite charming, really; naive and beautiful: Winnie-the-Pooh, smiling beatifically out at all of us on the interstate, quite large and lofty, cheery-yellow and lolliopop-red, displaying his middle finger.

It's painted over now.

I miss him.


http://russian-insider.blogspot.com/2005/12/winnie-pooh-russian-version.html

Here are Pooh and Piglet as they are animated in Russia.
Same cognitive dissonance as the Bird-Pooh; yet, alas, not as funny.

Did I mention that I miss him?

6 comments:

AfKaP said...

I love the colors and decor int e Russian Pooh picture - such a rare color combination for cartoons here!

I have lots of neckties said...

If it would help you feel less lonesome, I'd be happy to wear my Winnie-the-Pooh necktie and flip you the bird next time I see you!

neroli said...

Artist, I love it as well! Sometimes when the animators over in Bikini Bottom go for painterly, they achieve similar affects.

Lots Of, how wonderful of you! I can't wait!!
Do you remember that Pooh?
If you do, what did you think about him?

Anonymous said...

ahh sometimes the art of grafati is amazing though most dismiss it.. such a shame

I have lots of neckties said...

Alas, I never saw that Pooh from the interstate, although I no doubt had passed it in my travels at some point and just didn't notice it.

Unfortunately, if that Pooh was painted anywhere near one of those billboards along the highway that have the dual purpose of selling products while stimulating a guy’s libido, that willy nilly silly old bird-flipper didn’t stand a chance of being seen by me. There’s no doubt which roadside distraction I would have chosen to look--I mean stare--at!

I particularly appreciate the irony of some of those billboards, espcially the ones that picture a comely young lass with this message next to her: “Hey, keep your eyes on the road!”

neroli said...

Wolfbaby, welcome! You're absolutely right: such expression is often dismissed; I like the surprise, the natural element of it all. We need more Keith Harings to help the cause :-)!

Lots Of, you are cracking me up! Whatever catches your attention, just make certain to make your intentions clear with Mrs. Lots Of on the AlphaSmart ;-)!